Sunday, July 22, 2012

Really Easy Beef Pot Pie and my first Zaycon Foods purchase


I got a lot (40 lbs!) of super-lean ground beef last weekend from Zaycon Foods. I also got 40 lbs of fresh boneless, skinless chicken breasts too, but recipes with those are for another day. (Thanks Rondi for picking it up for me! )
If you don't know about Zaycon Foods (until recently I didn't either) they sell quality meat products at certain times throughout the year and at a designated location you can pick it up after you have placed your order. The prices are not bad. In fact, the chicken breasts...which I might add were H-U-G-E... were 1.52 a lb. Really! The cheapest I've been able to find 'em at the grocery stores have been $1.89 a pound so I couldn't pass this up.
The deal is, though, you have to buy the box which is 40 lbs. But that's easily fixed if you can't use that much. Just find a friend to go in halfsies with you. I must say, I was impressed with the quality of the meats. We had grilled burgers the first night. (Couldn't wait to try it out). The ground beef is lean. A winner!

Before I get to the pot pie recipe, just in case you might be interested in taking advantage of their deals, I have a link for you. If you mention me, and if you order from them, I will get a dollar credit to my next purchase. It costs nothing to register and this gets you on their email list so you can be alerted to sales events coming to your area (they're all over the U.S.). So, yes, I'm asking you to use me, but you don't have to. Use this link Zaycon Foods to sign up.

Ok, now to the recipe. I usually make chicken pot pies, but my husband is a real beef eater so I figured I'd surprise him with a beef pot pie, seeing how I have all this ground beef... LOL
It is super easy, and he really enjoyed it. It's a definite keeper.

I didn't make my own pie crusts, which made it even quicker, but you certainly could use your own favorite recipe for that. This recipe makes two pies which is perfect for dinner tonight, and one for the freezer for another night!


Pastry for 2 double crust pies (I used Pillsbury)
1 1/4 cups diced celery
1 cup grated carrots
1/2 large onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 lb. lean ground beef

One a lightly floured surface, roll out one crust to fit a 9 inch pie plate.
In a large bowl, mix the carrots, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
Crumble the (raw) ground beef over mixture and mix well. Just get your hands in it and squish and moosh away!
Spoon half of the mixture into the pie pan. Then top with another rolled out pie crust. Crimp the edges and cut some slashes on the top crust for vents.
Do the same for the other two pie crusts, making two pies.
Cover and freeze one pie (dinner for another night)
Bake your other pie at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Then reduce heat to 350 and bake 1 hour.

To use the frozen pie, remove from freezer about 35 minutes before baking. Bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 75 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information.
    Iphone App Reviews

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails