Thursday, May 1, 2014

Vinegar the virtues of

I like the idea of using "green" cleaners.  I'm not sure if it's more for the money saving factor, or the fact that I've lessened the disturbance to my environment.   But I just became a big, no make that huge, fan of vinegar.  What won me over was the ability to clean!    I had a stubborn mess on one of the shelves on my refrigerator door.  Now, before I show you the picture (and I can't believe I'm sharing this with you), I feel compelled to tell you that, despite what it looks like, we're not pigs.   Ok, that being said, here's the (gasp) picture...
Remember... don't judge

You see, there's some "sticky substance" to the left.  Probably from spilled tea.  Sweet tea, of course. and scuffed areas (i have no idea how that happened).  Scuffed, or scratched, areas on plastic just hold on to dirt and it's near impossible to get totally clean.   I used vinegar, full strength, and just plain old paper towels.  I didn't even have to use a scrubbie, and I'm happy to say this is the result:

Don't worry about any special kind of vinegar. The white vinegar.  Actually it's clear.  Just not the apple cider vinegar.  In fact, get the cheap kind and that's the white vinegar.   I have now started buying it by the gallon jugs.     Also, you know that drip tray thingie on the door for the water and ice?   Well, I tried everything on that.  I used bleach, other commercial cleaners, and nothing happened.   I soaked the grate in plain white vinegar, and the little place it fits in and Viola!  It's a miracle!    If you don't like the smell, don't worry.  It disappears in about 30 minutes or so.  

I'm curious, do you have a favorite cleaning remedy?   How about other uses for vinegar?   Would love to hear!  

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! I do keep vinegar around and will use it in the rinse water when I clean my carpet. I'm definitely going to have to try this on my refrigerator too :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails