Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Come to the Dark Side...of Chocolate.

Dark Chocolate Cake with Ganache

If you're not a fan of dark chocolate, then this cake is probably not for you.  It's deep, dark and chocolate!    I call these types of cakes "cheater cakes", because the base is a boxed mix.  I know!  Shudder the thought and my sweet, southern mama would be so disappointed in me, but that'll be our secret, right?

First off, you're going to need:
Cake:
1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix (or if you can find it, Swiss chocolate!)
1 box (3.9 oz) instant chocoloate pudding mix
1 cup water
4 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup (4 oz) semisweet chocolate morsels

Ganache:
1 cup heavy cream
1 pkg (12 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup powdered sugar

Cake:
Preheat oven 350 degrees.  Spray bundt pan with Baker's Secret, or other type of oil and flour mixture.
Combine the cake mix, pudding mix, water, eggs and oil in a bowl and beat for 2 minutes, or until well blended.
Stir in the 1/2 cup chocolate chips.  Transfer batter to prepared Bundt pan. 
Bake 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
Cool cake in the pan on cooling rack for 15 minutes.
Invert cake onto cooling rack.  Place cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet.  Cool cake completely.

Ganache
Pour cream into saucepan, whisk the powdered sugar into the cream.  Heat until small bubbles appear.  Remove from heat and add the 12 oz. chocolate chips.  Stir until smooth.  Cool until just slightly warm.  Pour ganache over the cooled cake.  Transfer to serving platter.  (I used a couple of BBQ spatulas to do this - worked great!)

Note:  We're pretty much milk chocolate fans in this household, but this is a nice change.  It's not too sweet, but it feels dark and rich (huh?!)  I sent the cake to work with hubby, so we'll see what the consensus is when he comes home.   I'd love to hear your impression of it if you decide to bake this cake!

13 comments:

  1. QUICK QUESTION: Is it wrong to crave this for breakfast? My tummy is growling loudly now, thank you very much!

    :D

    xoxo
    radmegan

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Great minds think alike! See my choc. pound cake post! Must be those chocolate Easter cravings kicking in!

    -momdrinkstea
    www.stackedstonefarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Posted a link to your article on my blog, see above...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude. That looks wonderful! Wish my hubby liked chocolate but he doesn't like it at all! So if I made this I'd eat the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could FREEZE half for later or when company comes.... :-D

      Delete
  5. Oh goodness Janette! This looks way more than fabulous and I LOVE dark chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! I could sooo use a slice of that. Featured you today on www.GOODEnessGracious.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmmm.....this looks good! I have added it to my list of recipes to try for my hubby. And it doesn't look too difficult to make!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmmmmmm.... i love chocolate... any kind of chocolate. and LOTS of it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this for dessert yesterday and it was amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delicious :) Wonderful :) Moist :)
    Will make this again!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails