Pages

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Three-Bean and Sausage Stew

photoCAH0KKVO

Christmas is almost upon us .. (did I really say that?!?) and if you’ve got way too many last minute errands to do then this dish is a life saver. Ok, maybe not a lifesaver, but it takes a load off of whats-for-dinner problems. Just throw this little jewel in the crockpot, go attack the day, and then 4-5 hours later boil some rice and open a bag-o-salad and you’re set. I usually end up with left-overs so I freeze the rest. Which, I might add, does freeze well.

3-Beans and Sausage Stew

1 1/2 lbs smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces

16 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

15 1/2 oz can great northern beans, rinsed and drained

15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup water

8 oz. tomato sauce

2/3 cup chopped celery

1 tsp chicken bouillon granules

1 tsp minced garlic (you can use garlic powder in a pinch)

1 bay leaf

1/2 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp dried oregano, optional

1/4 tsp dried thyme, optional

Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours, or until heated through. Discard bay leaf. Serve over rice. Makes about 8 servings.

Enjoy and relax!

photo

3 comments:

  1. Oh Sweet Ms. Jeanette,
    It was so very nice to hear from you my friend. Hope all is well with you. Thank you for the recipe. I love crockpot meals and this one sounds soooo yummy. Will have to give it a try. Wishing you a wonderful day.

    Hugs and Kisses,
    ♥Ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed to edit because I forgot to proofread, sorry!

      This was dinner last night, and it was pretty darn tasty! I made a few changes based on what I had in the kitchen: skipped the celery since mine was limp, used a 15-ounce can of tomato sauce and cut down on the water, and added a couple teaspoons of Tabasco for bite. We just ate it in bowls without rice to save on carbs. I love how the basic recipe is good on its own, but also lends itself well to adaptations...I can never leave anything alone.

      Delete

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails