Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

FREEZER FOODS FRIDAY

It's Freezer Foods Friday time again - and we're continuing "chicken month". This week I wanted to share some of my favorite "dump chicken" mixes. I happened to notice the date I typed in at the bottom of the pages and it was way back to 2001 ! Wow - I didn't realize I had been doing freezer cooking for over 10 years (yeah, I can count, 2001 was the year I obtained "these" recipes! LOL).

The reason they're called "dump" recipes, is all you do is make up the mixture,and "dump" it all in the freezer bags / containers with the chicken, and when you're ready to prepare the meal, you "dump" it all in the pan...or you can grill 'em too! Simple, right?

So, let's get to it!


BBQ Jelly Chicken
3/4 cup Ketchup
3/4 cup Peach, apricot, strawberry, or any other favorite jam.
1/8 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire
2 teaspoons Chili powder
1/8 teaspoon salt

***** (NOTE: All of the "Dump Chicken" processes follow these instructions - just refer back here for each recipe's instruction)

For immediate cooking: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place all ingredients into a large baking dish, turn chicken to coat. Bake until chicken juices run clear. (approx. 45-60 minutes for chicken pieces, or 20-30 minutes for chicken breasts)
For Freezing: Place all ingredients into a 1 gallon freezer bag. Lay flat in freezer.
To thaw and cook: Take the bag out of the freezer the night before.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Empty contents of the bag into a large baking dish and bake until the juices run clear.

Creole Chicken
1 TBSP olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup bell pepper
1 clove minced garlic
14 oz can whole tomatoes (I use the canned diced ones)
2 tsp. Worcestershire
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp pepper sauce (optional)


Sweet & Sour Chicken
1/4 cup + 2 TBSP honey
1/4 cup + 2 TBSP sherry vinegar
1/8 cup Soy Sauce
2 teaspoons minced ginger
4 cloves garlic - crushed



Spicy Sweet Glaze
2 tsp. minced garlic
2/3 cup apricot preserves
1/3 cup Soy Sauce
1/3 cup Ketchup
1 tsp Tobasco

Sticky Chicky (this will sound weird, but trust me, it's good!!!)
2 TBSP oil
1 TBSP Soy Sauce
3 TBSP smooth peanut butter
3 TBSP ketchup

Teriyaki Chicken
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/3 cup Soy Sauce
2 TBSP Rice Wine (optional - I omit this)
1.5 TBSP Cider vinegar
1.5 TBSP brown sugar
1.5 TBSP minced ginger


Ok, there you have my top choices for "dump chicken". I'd love to hear if you try them and which ones you like. Really, that "sticky chicky" might sound g-r-o-s-s but I think it's really good. It doesn't taste at all like chicken-gone-peanutbutter-cookie at all! LOL

Also - you can use whatever pieces of chicken your family likes, I just use chicken breasts in all mine almost exclusively. I either catch 'em on sale (love those buy-one-get-two offers) or buy the big bags at Sam's. I just prefer boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

Now, if you have a good "make ahead" recipe, tip or idea, join in the McLinky party and link up. But please, link back to this so everyone can come and see!




3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your sweet comment! I love your blog, it's so cute and pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love these Dump Chicken ideas - I'm saving them to my favorites right now!!! Your blog is so adorable, it's always cheers me up to look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I can do the jelly one. Yum! And the sweet and sour. I am getting hungry.

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails