Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2010

FREEZER FOODS FRIDAY


It's that time again!  Freezer Foods Friday is here again.  I'm posting gold ol' Mr. McLinky at the bottom in case you would like to share a "Freezer Food" recipe, or a make-ahead idea. 
I'd love to have everyone jump in and make this day their own too.   Just please be sure to link back here so everyone can come and see all the great ideas/recipes!  (and post the Freezer Foods Friday button on your blog if you would be so kind)

The recipe I'm sharing this week is one I like to keep in the frige for "compassion meals".   Besides feeding hubby, these are great to whip out of the freezer, thaw and take to a friend in need.  Which, by the way, is one reason I love Freezer Meals!
(One ingredient might surprise you!)

Easy Manicotti
2 packages Manicotti (14 each)
1 pound lean ground beef
2 eggs
1 box stuffing mix (any flavor)
2 cups cottage cheese
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1/8 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
8 cups spaghetti sauce, prepared.

In a large bowl, mix the stuffing mix and seasoning packet, ground beef, eggs, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese and cheddar cheese to make a thick paste.
Set mixture aside for 5 minutes so bread crumbs can absorb moisture.
Begin stuffing UNCOOKED manicotti shells and place them side by side into prepared baking pans.
Continue until all shells have been filled and are placed as desired into baking pans.
Next, spoon shaghetti sauce evenly over shells until all sauce has been distributed.

To Freeze:  Providing you put your shells into 8 x 8 inch foil pans, you can put the whole pan into a gallon size ziplock type freezer bag.  This may sound gross, but I suck the air out through a straw, because I don't have one of those cool food savers - LOL.
Or, you can just cover tightly with foil, but I never trust that for secure, air-tight storage.

To Bake:  Cover with foil and bake in 350 degree oven for 1-2 hours (depending on how many your doing...just check it!)

NOTE:  To stuff my shells, I just transfer the mixture into a zippered bag and snip off a corner and squeeze the mixture into the shells.  Remember, you do NOT cook the shells first.  If you had cooked them and assembled them and then froze them, you'd probably have a dissolved, or icky, pasty noodle by the time you were ready to eat them.

Ok, now, your turn!  any recipes?  ideas?  Link up!



I am also linking up to Foodie Friday here  



9 comments:

  1. Thank you for your visit to my blog. I enjoyed viewing yours here and will be back.
    The Freezer Foods Friday is a wonderful idea. I will join in from time to time with it. I already have a post almost ready for tomorrow.

    See ya soon I hope...many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I am a new follower and will watch for a while and then jump in, these look incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The manicotti absolutely sound incredible! I'm almost a little bummed we're going out tonight because I can't make them! Maybe sometime next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, your Manicotti made me HUNGRY!!! Well, I jumped in today, not a whole meal but I did give an option to turn it into a whole dish. Hope you like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeanette,
    I received Hope today! Thank you so much. It was really a surprise to find her when I stopped at the mail box. Stop by my blog to see where I blogged about my wonderful surprise and linked back to you! Thanks again she is very special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Freezer Foods are lifesavers in more ways than I can name. Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday and sharing this great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great dish and a great idea! Visiting from SITS to wish you a Happy Monday and hope you get the warm weather!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Monday! Coming by through SITS again!

    My only freezer idea is buying meats when they are marked down and stocking up on them!

    I'm not a creative cook but maybe I can be as I am continuing to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum, I just added my pot pie...thanks for stopping by my blog today!! : )

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails