Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Freezer Foods Friday Guest Post Audra from Rediscovering Domesticity

Today on Freezer Foods Friday it is my pleasure to introduce you to Audra from Rediscovering Domesticity.  She's just the cutest thing... a mom of two and what she didn't mention below is that she taught music K-12 for 9 years!  Really girl, when you have talent like that, you should be telling people!  LOL   I only took piano lessons for ever, not a drop of talent in me though!  LOL    Anyway, you guys should really check out her blog.  She's got some great tips.  I'm going to head back over there and check out her post on making pages for your blog here.   

So, I'm going to turn it over to Audra now and let you fall in love with her too!



Photobucket

Oh - I am positively excited to share my story with you! I am thrilled that Sweet Jeanette invited me to share on her fabulous blog! Honestly, Sweet Jeanette is the one who inspired me to jump in and try my hand at batch cooking.

So, who am I?  My name is Audra.  I am a 30-something wife and mom of 2 sweet boys under the age of two.  I was a public school teacher for nine years and recently made the move to stay at home just before having my boys.  I am learning how to not just STAY at home, but to THRIVE at home!

Now,  I am intimidated by once a month cooking.  I just know in my core that I am not organized enough to do it!  I have learned, however, that I certainly CAN do batch cooking.  Since being inspired by Sweet Jeanette to keep trying, I am becoming quite good!

My first attempt at batch cooking was nothing impressive at all.  I was making a certain dish for dinner and decided to just make extra and freeze it.  No biggie.  I tell you, that extra meal was a life saver one night when I had two screaming kids and no desire to cook at all!  Could I do it again?

You betcha!

Photobucket


My next task was to create a meal for a friend who just had a baby.  Why make just one Spaghetti Pie when I can make THREE?  I just cooked extra when I found some spare toddler-free moments.  I had one to take to my friend, one for my family's dinner, and one for the freezer.

Ok - one more scenario for you.

I opened my refrigerator and discovered a big package of ground beef that I had forgotten about.  It wasn't spoiled but it NEEDED to be cooked.  No biggie!



Photobucket

Isn't my helper adorable?

I divided the meat into four portions - enough for four meals. I put each portion in its own pan and browned.  I ended up with four meals from just a half hour of my time!  I made:
Photobucket

  • Sloppy Joes
  • Beefaroni
  • Beef Stroganoff
Yes, I used Hamburger Helper.  Do what works for you and your family!


Photobucket


When I was done, I used this handy pitcher, lined with a freezer bag, to easily pour and store. After I freeze my meals flat, I can stack them upright for more storage room in my regular freezer (oh, how I long for a deep freeze....).  Remember - LABLE YOUR FOOD!!!!

Photobucket


The countertop full of meals made me smile.  I was able to give one of those meals to a friend who had her toddler in the hospital with an illness.  I didn't have to go out shopping. I didn't have to cook. I just pulled it out of my freezer and put it in hers!

So, as you can see, batch cooking isn't as hard as it sounds! If I can do it with two little ones under 2, so can you!

Thanks Audra.  My hubby would love everything you made!

6 comments:

  1. Audra, you just made me realize that I have been doing batch cooking for years!! I just didn't call it that! And Oooo! I love the 4 meals you made with the hamburger. Impressive! And that's said by someone who considers herself somewhat of a 'hamburger Queen'!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post Audra! and for the meal! We really appreciated it when E got out of the hospital! I was WAY behind on chores and really needed the time! Thanks!~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hamburger helper! Add some veggies and it's good to go! My youngest son moved 1500 miles away and is having to learn to cook. He added a tin of beans to his hamburger helper and said it was the best he'd ever had :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Audra (and Sweet Jeanette)! It feels so great to be organized or efficient enough to be a blessing to others in addition to your family! I think I've done batch cooking maybe once or twice, but I think I may try to work in some more meals like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tried this. It doesn't work to often feeding teenage boys. It gets in the frig to cool down and before the next day the food is eaten.
    In years to come, I hope to keep cooking for 6 and I can just put the rest in the freezer for hubbie and I. 11 more years before my last turns 18.

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails