Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

FREEZER FOODS FRIDAY

It's getting really warm....ok, it's just plain hot... here, so I'm in the mood for some cool foods.  Are you game???  To my friends in locations where it's still cooler,  sorry. 

I just renewed my subscription to Taste of Home magazine and got the renewal confirmation with a reminder to check out the 30,000 recipes they have on their website.   So I just typed in "freezer" and found this wonderful looking dessert.  It got a rating of 5 stars.   Sorry, I haven't tried it yet (but will).  It looked too good so I thought I'd share with everyone and whoever makes it first, come back here and let me know how you liked it!


(photo from Taste of Home's site)

Candy Bar Freezer Dessert
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup crushed saltines (about 30 crackers)
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 cups cold milk
2 pkgs, (3.4 oz each) instant vanilla pudding mix
4 cups butter pecan ice cream, softened
1 carton (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 Butterfinger candy bar (2.1 oz), chopped

In a large bowl, combine the cracker crumbs and butter.  Pat 3/4 of the mixture into an ungreased 12 x 9 inch dish.  Cover and refrigerate.
In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Stir in ice cream until blended.  Spread over crust.  Spread whipped topping over pudding layer
In a small bowl, combine chopped candy bar and the remaining crumb mixture, sprinkle over whipped topping.  Cover and freeze.  (If you plan to eat right away , freeze for at least 2 hours)

Sounds good, right?  I have another to share... and a story.  LOL

A friend brought this next dish to a party once upon a time, a long time ago. It was scrump-dilli-icious.  Of course, I'm going to ask for the recipe...  The "said friend" just smiled... Just smiled!  Nope, she didn't give me the recipe!  I might add, we're still friends, but....    

The internet is a wonderful thing,  I just googled Buster Bar Dessert and yep!  The internet was more than happy to oblige.   So I've had this recipe for about 6 years now, and I'm sharing with you.   (if you've had it for years, don't tell me.  I like to think I'm doing you a favor  ~~giggle ~~~)

Buster Bar Dessert
* 16 oz crushed oreo cookies, crushed
1/2 cup melted margarine
3/4 of a container of 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened
1/2  pound salted peanuts
1/2 cup Margarine
12 oz  evaporated milk
2/3 cup chocolate chips
2 cups powdered sugar

Put the crushed oreos in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.  Mix the melted margarine into the crumbs, and press the mixture into the bottom of the pan to form a crust.  Carefully spoon the softened ice cream onto the crust and smooth it out.   Don't fill the pan to the top (you need to leave room for the topping.)   Sprinkle peanuts on top of the ice cream.  Put the pan in the freezer for the ice cream to harden while you make the topping.

To make the topping, put the margarine and evaporated milk in a saucepan and start heating it.  Add the chocolate chips and powdered sugar.  Stir to mix well.  Bring the mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.   Set the topping aside and allow to completely cool.  Remove the dessert pan from the freezer and spread the cooled topping over the dessert.

Cover the pan well with plastic wrap and  foil,  or MY FAVE :  put into a 2 gallon freezer bag and seal.
Will keep a good 3 months in freezer but who waits that long?!?  LOL

*note:  a 20 oz package of Oreos minus about 8 cookies equals about 16 ounces.

ok, now it's your turn!  Do you have a freezer recipe, or make ahead, bulk cooking, whatever, tip, recipe, idea or hint?  Link up to the McLinky party and share.   Just link back here and say you're participating so everyone can see.



2 comments:

  1. These look way too tempting. --Don't talk about the heat yet, I'm not ready for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a recipe called Buster Bar Desert also - I checked it out and it's the same recipe. It is very good!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails