Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

This is my favorite potato soup.  In fact, I judge all other potato soups by this one.  Since the weather turned (just a bit) cooler I saw this as a perfect excuse for this and since I don't know how long the cool snap will last, or when it'll come back around again (it was in the 80's today) I needed to do this right away.

I   must warn you, however, while this is a hearty soup, it's not low calorie.  But it's oh so good!

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

You're going to need...
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
7 cups milk
4 large baking potatoes, baked, cooled, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups)
4 green onions (I cut up the whole bunch and put in my soup!) sliced
12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled (yeah, right. you'll notice that package of Hormel bacon... that's what I used.  Hey, it says "real bacon", right?
1 cup ( 8 oz) sour cream
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

In a large soup kettle, or Dutch oven, melt the butter.  Stir in flour; heat and stir until smooth.
Gradually add milk, stiring constantly until thickened. 
Add potatoes and onions.
Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients; stir until cheese is melted.


Do you have a fave "cold weather" soup?    How do you feel about split pea soup?  Hope you like it because that's what I'm making next.  See?  Im on a soup kick so if you have any suggestions, fill me in!  


Note: I forgot to mention the cheese... Can't forget that! You need 2 cups.


3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious and I am going to be making this today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH YUM!!! I'm going to try this soon!! I *LOVE* loaded baked potato soup!! I know it's not low-cal... but once in awhile you've got to just enjoy life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love potato soup, I will HAVE to try this!

    P.S. I just found your blog and am loving it! I'm now your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails