Pages

Friday, November 6, 2009

Freezer Foods Friday

Since there was quite a favorable response in e-mails and comments for more Freezer Foods (i.e., make ahead, freezer meals) I decided to make Fridays "Freezer Foods Friday" where I'll feature a recipe that can be made for the freezer thus being a make-ahead...once a month cooking... freezer friendly meal...batch cooking... whatever anyone else calls it. LOL

I personally have done the OAMC (Once a month cooking) but have settled in on a twice a month cooking routine where I do two weeks at a time. But admittedly, it sometimes becomes just "batch cooking", depending on the time I have. Same theory, just smaller doses.

Even though I have taught classes on freezer meals and organizing cooking days, I am by no means an expert so don't feel shy about offering suggestions and your ideas! We all feed (pardon the pun) off each other's enthusiasm and ideas!

So without further delay, here's my first recipe. It's an easy one (of course, all of mine are easy or they're not in my collection - LOL)

Honey Glazed Chicken
3 lbs. skinned chicken parts
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1/2 cup honey


Place chicken parts in a labeled frezer bag or container and keep in the frige until sauce is cooled and bagged. In a heatproof containner, melt remaining ingredients together in the microwave or stovetop (doesn't matter). Cool sauce thoroughly then pour into a labeled freezer bag. Keep the two freezer bags together by placing both into a larger freezer or food storage bag.
To Serve: Thaw both containers. Spray coat a 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking pan. Place chicken in pan in a single layer. Squeeze the sauce from the bag over the chicken. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. (Note: This long baking time allows the sauce to carmelize and glaze the chicken). Turn the chicken pieces to baste them at least every 15 to 20 minutes.

Stupid-Easy Meatloaf
1 1/2 lbs ground beef or turkey
1 box Peperidge Farm Stuffing Mix (with seasoning) I use Poultry season
Enough hot water to moisten the stuffing mix
1 egg



Pour the hot water over the stuffing mix and let set about 5 minutes, or until all is softenend
Add the meat and egg.
Gush and Mush the mixture all together (ok, just stir it if you want, but it's so much more fun to "gush and mush" LOL)

Shape into loaf, or divide up into muffin cups for individual, portion-controlled sizes.

In a 350 degree oven, preheated, bake the loaf for 1 hour.

It is so easy (a.k.a. "stupid-easy") but the stuffing mix with seasoning gives it a really good flavor.


Oh! and these make really good meatballs too. Instead of shaping into a loaf, just roll into the size meatballs you enjoy and bake in the oven as you would the mealoaf, just check at 25 minutes and keep checking to make sure they don't burn. They're smaller so you don't need as much cooking time.

You can either freeze the meatloaf before baking or after. I've done both. I like the cooking before freezer best because I can just pop it in the microwave to heat up and dinner is D-O-N-E!

Same thing with the meatballs!

Well there you have it, a chicken and a beef dish. Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for the yummy, easy recipes! I am all about that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you from TipJunkie Blogs... Freezer Fridays sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas and I like the look of your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to try the meatloaf as meatballs, sounds easy and good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great recipe. Thanks for sharing it with us. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that name...Stupid Easy. I love to have a few things in the freezer for those days when I just don't want to cook. Sounds like a great idea you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with you and tend to do batch cooking based on when I can get stuff on sale! Love both the recipes and I am game for anything that is "stupid easy"! (Stopping by from SITS!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recipes. I have been looking for freezer meal ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I blogged about the award you gave me with a link back to you--it is today's post.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful, yummy recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh jeanette, the both sound lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  12. great recipes-thanks!!

    stopping by from SITS to say hi!

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails