Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Rolls!

This weekend the RealWomenEat.com group met for our monthly "Cook-N-Critique".  I'm going to post about that later on realwomeneat.com.     (Be sure to check it out!)  We decided this month was all brunch/breakfast foods,

and since Bakerella's post last week was her trial of Ree Drummond (A.K.A. the Pioneer Woman) famous cinnamon rolls, I figured that's what I'd do.


  Now, you must understand... I have a fear of yeast!  LOL   Early in my marriage (about 30 years ago to be semi-exact!) I tried to make yeast rolls.   These were little more than miniature flying saucers!   I have backed away from anything containing yeast since then!  So this was quite an undertaking for me.  Facing my fear of yeast.   Repeating the mantra  "Don't fear the yeast"... "Don't fear the yeast"  ...

Bakerella inspired me.  She even shared her poor spirals on her first try. So game was on!

Here's the recipe...

Pioneer Woman's (famous) Cinnamon Rolls

DOUGH:
1 quart whole milk
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 packages (4 1/2 tsp) active dry yeast
9 cups all-purpose flour
1 heaping tsp baking powder
1 sant teaspoon baking soda
1 TBSP salt

FILLING
2 cups melted butter, plus more as needed
1/4 cup ground cinnamon for sprinkling
2 cups sugar, plus more as needed

MAPLE ICING
2 pounds powdered sugar
1/2 cup whole milk
6 TBSP butter, melted
1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
Dash of salt
1 TBSP maple flavoring or maple extract

For the dough, heat the milk, vegetable oil, and sugar in a medium sauce pan over medium heat; do not allow the mixture to boil.  Set aside and cool to lukewarm.


Sprinkle the yeast on top and let it sit on the milk for 1 minute.


Add 8 cups of the flour.  Stir until just combined, cover with a clean kitchen towel (I wonder why she felt the need to specify a "clean" kitchen towel???  LOL) and set aside in a relatively warm place for 1 hour.


(looks like gooey oatmeal to me)
Remove the towel (the "clean" towel!) and add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and the remaining 1 cup flour.  Stir thoroughly to combine.

Use the dough right away, or place in a mixing bowl and refrigerate for up to 3 days, punching down the dough if it rises to the top of the bowl.

(ok, here's where I stopped taking pictures because my hands were "doughy")

To assemble the rolls, remove half the dough from the pan.  On a floured baking surface, roll the dough into a large rectangle, about 30 x 10 inches.
(My fave rolling pin!!!)

To make the filling, pour 1 cup of the melted butter over the surface of the dough.  Use your fingers to spread the butter evenly.
(awwwww yeah!)

Generously sprinkle 1/2 the cinnamon and 1 cup sugar on top of the buttered dough.
Beginning at the end farthest from you, roll the rectangle tightly toward you.  Use both hands and work slowly, being careful to keep the roll tight.

When you reach the end, pinch the seam together. 

Transfer to cutting board and with a sharp knife, make 1 1/2 inch slices.  One log with produce 20-25 rolls.

Pour a couple tablespoons of melted butter into the desired pie pans or baking dishes and swirl to coat.
Place the sliced rolls in the pans, being careful not to overcrowd.
Repeat the rolling/sugar/butter process with the other half of the dough and more pans.


Hey Bakerella!  Check out MY swirls!!!

While the rolls are baking, make the maple icing...
In a large bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, butter, coffee and salt.
Splash in the maple flavoring.
Whisk until very smooth.  Taste and add in more maple, sugar, butter, or other ingredients as needed until the icing reaches the desired consistency.  The icing should be thick, but still pourable.

I didn't think about taking a pic until I had already iced THREE pans!! LOL

Ree is right, when those rolls come out of the oven, my kitchen is the best smelling place on earth!

While the rolls are still warm, generously drizzle icing over the top.  Be sure to get it all around the edges and over the top.

Ok, I missed the part about a pouring consistency,  my icing was thicker...more like a "spreading" consistency.
She said it would make between 40-50,  Mine came out to 45.  Quite a batch I'd say.  

 
Let's see... I took one pan to the RealWomenEat Cook-N-Critique, sent a pan to work with hubby, put two pans in the freezer (one I'll take this Sunday to Sunday School class), one is sitting on the counter for hubby, and ...


Every good southern girl knows you don't send out anything without first trying it to see if it's worth sharing!   ROFL!!!

You can read my review of the recipe, as well as the other real women who eat later in the week so be sure and click over there then and see all the great dishes the other ladies brought!

6 comments:

  1. MMmmmmm, those look fantastic!!! If you ever need a taste tester... :)

    Have an Extraordinary Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks to me as if you have conquered the yeast. Those look super delsih! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanette:
    They look wonderful...and BOUNTIFUL! Man, she's cookin' for a tribe, to be sure! I have her cookbook. It was a Christmas gift from my dil. I especially love her Chicken Spaghetti!
    xoxo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Y U M !!! they look amazing.
    blessings,
    aimee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your rolling pin is a site to behold!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails