Pages

Monday, September 14, 2009

The day I knew my husband loved me

We were married almost 30 years ago which has given us thirty years of “life stories” together. I guess, besides myself and Nascar, there was only one true passion he had and that was his cameras. Paul loved photography and used to be quite an avid photographer. He’d pour over photography magazines for hours and loved shooting pictures…of everything! At times he was inseparable from the camera. He loved that Nikon camera. One of the many times he had his camera with him (at one of my family functions), he put it down to shoot some pool and one of my cousins (today she is a teacher, but back then a little bratty LOL) picked it up and, wham! On the floor. I gasped because I knew how much he loved his camera. He ran over to it, not wanting to make a scene - being my family and all – said: “she must’ve just knocked it off” to which April said “ No, I threw it down” Oh my goodness!!! I couldn’t believe what had just happened. Did I mention that he loved that camera? That is close to an understatement! The fact that he didn’t strangle her right then and there was a good indication he either loved me or was in shock. But that’s not when I knew he loved me.

We tell each other daily that we love each other and sometimes when I’ve made an exceptional dinner, (i.e., one he loves), I’ll get a standing ovation. No, seriously, I will! When he’s away on business trips, he’ll call me multiple times a day just to share something he has seen, or to make sure I know he’s safe, or that I am safe. I’m not so good at that. He’s better.

Paul has never given me a reason not to believe he loves me. But one day, in particular was the day I knew he loved me.

We had gone to his brother’s graduation from Florida State. This was his baby brother of whom Paul was so proud of. He got a good many pictures at this event, for sure!

After the ceremony at the huge civic center in Tallahassee, we along with hundreds of other people were trying to make our mass exodus off this equally huge campus. We trudged what seem by me to be miles (ok, it was actually yards) only to find we had chosen the wrong path and the gate was locked. Several were just climbing over it, as did Paul and is brothers and sisters, but he didn’t feel I could do it so directed me to go a different route, completely within eye sight. I would go underneath what looked to be concrete grandstands, thinking back, maybe it was just the concrete building, but at any rate, there was crawl space and if you bent down you could pass easily. Easily, IF you don’t misjudge the height and just as you’re about to come out of this thing you raise up, conk your head and fall down, stalling about one hundred graduates trying to do the same thing!

I remember one of his family members saying “Jeanette fell down”. I could see Paul in the corner of my eye and what he did next is something I will never forget. He dropped his camera bag, jumped over the fence and ran to me. Did you get the part where I said he “DROPPED HIS CAMERA BAG”?!? He didn’t even say “here, would you hold this for me”. No. When he got to me, (there were still people stalled because I fell at an angle I couldn’t pull my legs up under me to get up) he helped me up, asked over and over if I was ok. I think I would’ve been tempted to say “you can’t even crawl?!?” LOL. But I also saw the look of, first concern, then of love as he gently helped me up and held me. That’s when I knew he loved me. When I realized that “I” was his prized possession.

59 comments:

  1. awww... how sweet. ~sniff~ made me tear up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet..what a good guy=)

    Stopping by from SITS

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful day! you are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a precious story. I feel the same way about my hubby of 27 years. We are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That a such a sweet story. Romantic and cute all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyone that has ever seen Paul look at you knows how much he loves you. Even when you aren't around, he talks so sweet about you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story and lovely header! Cupcakes make everything better, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story and memory that you have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, that is just so cute! I love it. Sounds like you have a great guy, and what a fun love story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your story, it makes me think of my fiance :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww! :) This story is so sweet. Moments like this with your husband are the greatest. It really is the little things in life that are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so sweet! Happy SITS day, and Happy Birthday, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't believe many women have the opportunity to know for sure (tested, tried and true) that they are their partner's prized possession. That is lovely.

    Have a very happy birthday :)
    Danie

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a great story. I love hearing stories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. He dropped his camera bag for you? That's REAL love!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is a really sweet story. you're very lucky to be together :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was sweet of him.

    Congrats on your SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sweet love story indeed! :o)

    Congrats on your SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohmygosh honey! That is just so stinkin' sweet!! What a wonderful husband you have!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahhh to feel so cherished! My dear girl I'm sure you totally deserve it and what's more, by the way you talk about your hubby, he is one lucky guy to have found you as well.

    Fireworks tonight celebrating your b'day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awww! So sweet! He's definitely a keeper! ;)

    Happy SITS Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think it's something that such a simple but GRAND gesture did not go unnoticed. He loves you and you love him. That's Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a sweet story. He's a great guy! Hold onto him! :-)

    Happy SITS Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So sweet! What an accomplishment, to foster such a strong and lasting relationship with your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is so sweet and heartwarming. It's the little big things ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my gosh what a great story!!!!

    My hubby drives really slow and sometimes I ask him to go the speed limit aka speed up and he always responds with "I can't I have precious cargo on board", meaning me, how sweet is that?

    ReplyDelete
  27. That definitely was proof! Lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You shouldn't make people cry in the morning before work... sniff, sniff.

    This is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a nice story! Congrats on your SITS! You have a lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are so lucky to have a husband that "truly loves you"
    LizAnn
    www.forgirlsanddolls.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is so sweet! No hesistation. That's true love. Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awww. That is so sweet. This story is so sweet that it could be in a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  33. That is love.

    Happy SITS day.

    LisaDay

    ReplyDelete
  34. very very sweet. Lovely memory.

    Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Now THAT'S true love-- I'm pretty sure my husband would have secured the camera first!

    Happy SITS Day! --and happy birthday tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a sweet post about your Hubby! I know how those cameras can be...I'm in love with mine too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a precious story and a great post! Reminds me of the time I knew my hubby loved me!
    Hope your SITS day is great!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Awww, great story! And that took willpower for him not to smack your cousin! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. You've not only got a good thing, but you know it. Very happy for you both.

    Sarah Baron

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a great story! You are a very lucky lady. I am still head over heels for my hubby after 13 years; I hope we're still as mushy as you at 30!

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a sweet story! Happy SITS day

    ReplyDelete
  42. That made me smile. :)

    Thanks!

    and happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  43. This post was beautiful! I got goosebumps just reading it.

    Stopping by from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  44. That is called love. Happy SITS day to u

    ReplyDelete
  45. I think we have a collective aww from the SITS crowd...me included. I married my best friend too!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Like something out of a movie - LOVE it!! Congratulations on finding true love AND having a great blog!

    Happy SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Aw! Congratulations on such a long and loving marriage.

    Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Very sweet! I look forward to the day that my husband and I have 30 years worth of stories to tell! Congrats on making it that far together :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love a good love story...Thanks for sharing and Happy SITS Day!

    Natalie at Mommy on Fire
    http://www.mommyonfire.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. awww so sweet. We are both lucky women to be married to such wonderful men xo

    ReplyDelete
  51. Jeanette..........that was beautiful. We are blessed women, aren't we. There is NO DOUBT that man ADORES you. GOD IS GOOD!

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails