Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tonight's Dinner

Tonight’s dinner got me a standing ovation from my husband! No kidding. It really was good! I got down the “Pastor’s Wives Cookbook” (no, I’m not a pastor’s wife) from the shelf and made the green vegetable casserole.





Did you notice I write in my cookbooks? LOL


I really like this recipe and have made it from this book for years. Now, if you’re a true southerner (or from the “old south”), you know that no southern girl worth her salt would cook vegetables without some pork seasoning. This doesn’t have it, and it’s still good! LOL. I’ll share my recipe with you and you tell me what you think, ok?


Green Vegetable Casserole
1 1/2 cups water, salted, boiling
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pkg frozen baby lima beans
1 pkg frozen green peas
1 can French green beans, drained


Add chopped onion to boiling salted water. Cook 5 minutes or longer.
Add lima beans. Cook 12 minutes. Next, add green peas and cook 3-5 minutes.
Drain the green beans, stir in vegetable mixture.


TOPPING
3 hard boiled eggs, mashed fine
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp prepared mustard
Several dashes hot sauce or Tobasco


Mix ingredients together. Spread on top of casserole. Bake 30 minutes in a 350-375 degree oven. Brown lightly on top.



Next, I made the “outback” style chicken. I snagged this recipe from Kara’s Kitchen. I found her blog one evening and this looked too good to let it go. I was right! It is delicious!!! Go check out her blog and snag the recipe for yourself. You won’t be disappointed! She has a recipe for Pear Zuchini Bread that sounds like something I’ll need to try when the zucchini are in again! I do believe I’ll be visiting her site more! (smile).


Well that was the meal that got me a standing ovation (with a little help from Kara!)


Enjoy!






5 comments:

  1. Glad you liked the chicken as much as we do. It's been awhile since I made it, so it sure is sounding good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe my husband's exact words were: "Awesome" ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks so delicious! i have to try it!
    have a great day!
    justyna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanette...my stomach is growling, thanks a lot! I am always looking for ways to incorporate veggies into our meals as Angel is most definitely a veggie-hater. Will have to try your casserole (plus it looks amazingly easy!). Loving your blog :)

    -Tara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment! The chicken looks great. I plan to write down a few of Kara's recipe's for myself, especially the zucchini ones. Anything I can do to get some extra vegetables into my kids and hubby is good for me! By the way, the post about the little girl's dog dying was too sweet. It made me a little misty!

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails