Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Apple Pecan Scones



I just made these scones.  They're quite tasty and thought I'd share the recipe with you.

Apple Pecan Scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled and cut into pieces (that's 1 stick)
1 cup chopped apples (I used Gala, but I prefer Braeburn which has great real old fashioned apple taste!)
3/4 cup chopped pecans (I toasted these on top of the stove in a skillet)
2 beaten eggs
2/3 cup whipping cream
1 beaten egg yolk
1 Tablespoon whipping cream
sugar

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Line a l arge baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a large bowl combine flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.  I used a fork, but you can use a pastry blender (it just takes longer with the fork   LOL) to cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. 
Stir in apple and nuts.
In a small bowl, combine 2 eggs and the 2/3 cup whipping cream.  Add to flour mixture and stir just until moistened.
Use a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop to scoop dough and place on prepared baking sheet.  Don't flatten.
In a small bowl combine the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon whipping cream.  Brush over the top of the scones.  Sprinkle some additional sugar over the scones.
Bake for 15-17 minutes (375) or until scones are lightly browned.  Remove from the baking sheet.  Cool on wire rack 5 minutes; serve warm.

Now here's the cool part!  You can prepare these in advance, cool completely and place in freezer type ziplock bag and freeze!  Woo Hoo!  Freezer friendly!!!   When you want to eat them, just place frozen scones on a baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes, or until warm!

Maybe I should've waited until Freezer Foods Friday to share this recipe, eh?  But I'm feeling guilty for having totally forgotten FFF last week so this week, there's two!  LOL. 

Oh!  I also made some fresh whipped cream with the left over whipping cream.   I just added a tad bit of  powdered sugar and some vanilla.  Sorry, there are no exact measurements,  I just eye-balled it.  I started out whisking it, but who has the physical fortitude to see it through?  Not me!  So then I grabbed my hand held KitchenAid mixer and finished it off.   You can't beat the real thing!  LOL

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Jeanette!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Isn't this just the best time of the year to go visiting? Everyone has their Christmas fun to show!

    I'm off to the city today and I get to go to Michaels! Yay! I don't get to go often- just a few times a year so I'm really excited! Anyway, I look forward to looking around here more later in the week! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your recipe on Pinterest and loved it. The finished consistency was perfect!

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails