Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Freezer Foods Friday Continuing on the theme of Cookies


I thought I'd continue with the cookies theme I posted last week, but instead of a recipe, I'd give some information on freezing cookies.  Just in case you got way more cookies than you can possibly eat right now from all the cookie exchanges, or you were over-zealous in the kitchen making up cookie mixes!  LOL

Freezing unbaked cookie dough


Most cookie doughs freeze extremely well and can be kept frozen for up to 4 or 6 weeks. The most important thing to keep in mind is that the dough will absorb any odd odors present in your freezer if it's not properly wrapped and sealed. To prevent this smell-sponge effect-as well as freezer burn-wrap the dough securely twice. It's also a very good idea to write the type of cookie dough and the date it was frozen on the outside of the package. When you are ready to bake simply let the dough defrost in the refrigerator. This will take several hours, so plan ahead. The cookie doughs that freeze best are shortbreads, chocolate chip, peanut butter, refrigerator, sugar, and brownies, just to name a few. The types of cookie doughs that do not freeze well are cake-like cookies and cookies that have a very liquidy batter, such as madeleines and tuiles.

Freezing already baked cookies

Freezing baked cookies is a great way to preserve their freshness. Baked cookies will keep in the freezer for up to 3 or 4 weeks. As with freezing cookie dough, the most important thing to keep in mind is that you don't want your cookies to absorb any odors. I double-bag 'em.  i.e., use those gold old ziplocs, and use the "freezer" kind.  Oh and write the date and the type of cookie on the outside of the package. When you are ready to eat your frozen cookies, just let them come to room temperature, or, for you impatient types, pop them in the microwave on high for about 30 seconds. (Times will differ depending on the size of cookie you're defrosting.) I still haven't come across a baked cookie that doesn't freeze well. So feel free to freeze loads of assorted cookies to keep yourself supplied with yummy goodies, any time.

So, does anyone else have any good tips, or recipes for making ahead?  If so, jump in!




4 comments:

  1. Sadly, cookies never last around here that they would ever need to be frozen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Pam! If I were totally honest, I'd say that too! But these tips do come in handy when you want to "do ahead" for the holidays. Say, oh, I don't know, OCTOBER ? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanette
    Just wanted t o let you know if I haven't that I got the great pins you sent.
    I am having fun with them as I use a few for package ties for friends like me who love pins. Thank you so very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the hints! I printed this and kept this in my file. I will say that dough and baked cookies never make it to the freezer. I guess if I made a few dozen at a time they would make it there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails